Mobile Technologies for Health (mHealth)
One of K4Health’s growing practice areas is mHealth—the use of mobile technologies (including phones, tablets, and netbooks) to improve public health.
mHealth is of particular interest in low- and middle-income countries, where widespread mobile networks and access to devices are connecting people like never before, leap-frogging older technologies to dramatically improve information flow, data collection, social and behavior change, and emergency response.
For example, SMS/text-based campaigns can be an effective way to share health information with people who lack reliable internet access.
There are now more than 5 billion mobile phone subscriptions globally, making it the most pervasive information-sharing platform ever. Recognizing the potential of mobile technologies and approaches to transform knowledge-sharing, K4Health is an active participant across the mHealth value chain. Our activities include:
- Bringing together peer-reviewed and gray literature from high-, middle-, and low-resource settings on mHealth evidence;
- Building strong mHealth program foundations by publishing The mHealth Planning Guide: Key Considerations for Integrating Mobile Technology into Health Programs;
- Sharing mHealth technical content and program principles with the mHealth eLearning Course;
- Contributing to the documentation of emerging best practices of mobile technology to strengthen family planning programs;
- Spearheading an interdisciplinary mHealth Working Group to share best and emerging practices;
- Collaborating with leading organizations on how best to monitor and evaluate mHealth programs;
- Implementing or supporting mHealth activities within our field-based programs, where appropriate; and
- Developing mobile applications and interfaces to make K4Health's content available on mobile devices.
Looking for the mHealth Toolkit? K4Health is building a brand new website to provide easy access to all of our mHealth tools and resources. In the meantime, you can access all of K4Health's latest mHealth information on this page. Can't find what you're looking for? Email us at email@example.com for assistance.
Learn more: K4Health Focus on mHealth (.pdf) and other mHealth-related content appears below.