Formative and Baseline Survey on Handwashing with Soap
Purpose of the Formative Research
The main purpose of this research was to provide insights to the design of an effective communication programme to promote hand washing with soap. The specific objectives were to;
1. Document current hand washing practices and their context
2. Establish factors that drive and facilitate hand washing in communities
3. Identify target audiences for the campaign
4. Determine the current channels of communication used in the community.
Current handwashing practices
- Although 84% of the adults recognized the need to wash hands with soap after using the toilet,only 14% were observed to do so. Overall 57% washed their hands in some way.
- Of the caregivers observed, 19% washed hands with soap after cleaning a baby’s bottom. Overall35% washed their hands in some way.
- Although more caregivers washed their hands before eating, (60% all together), only 8% used soap.
- From the school observations, 54% of the pupils washed their hands after using the toilet. Only 5% used soap.
- Handwashing is low priority for the use of soap, below laundry, washing dishes and bathing.
- Overall 95% of the households have used soap
- Most people know that it is important to HWWS, but few people practice it.