WHO Projects in the area of zoonosis include:
- Strengthening the health system for acute respiratory infections. A USAID funding, focus on zoonotic influenza, primarily H5N1.
- Strengthening the Human Health Surveillance System for Emerging Infectious Diseases Detection and Response. AusAID funding, focus on EIDs Response including zoonoses.
- Implementing the National Strategic Plan for Avian Influenza. An EU funding, activities closed in December 2011.
- IDENTIFY. A USAID funding via SEARO.
- HPED. An EU funding via SEARO.
In addition to the above, there is also a WHO Collaboration Centre on Influenza at the human-animal interface in Indonesia. By definition, WHO collaborating centres is "…an institution designated by the Director-General to form part of an international collaborative network carrying out activities in support of the Organization's programme at all levels.“
The WHO Collaboration Center focuses on 5 topics:
- Integrated risk assessment for influenza at the human animal interface
- Avian influenza dynamics at the human-animal interface
- Virology of A(H5N1) viruses isolated from human and animal populations
- Risks associated with environmental contamination by avian influenza viruses, including risks from Live Animal Markets.
- Clinical management of human cases of avian influenza virus H5N1 infection
WHO Indonesia Country Page: www.who.int/countries/idn/en/