The HIV pandemic affects all levels of the healthcare system. Global and in-country collaboration can maximize existing human resources and strengthen human capacity, and training of health care workers on prevention of mother-to-child transmission (PMTCT) of HIV is a key part of this strategy.
Training packages should be adapted to meet local circumstances, reflect national policies and priorities, and include key considerations like the following:
- Basic knowledge of HIV/AIDS
- HIV prevention in mothers, infants, and children
- Specific service delivery models or interventions
- Addressing stigma
- Counseling and testing
- Infant feeding
- Comprehensive care and support
- Monitoring and evaluation
To suggest a resource or share a comment about this section of the Toolkit, please visit our feedback form.