The mHealth Planning Guide Tools
As this Guide is intended to help you develop a solid plan for your mHealth activity, we provide four tools to support your planning process. We recommend downloading and printing these tools so that you have them readily available as you work through the Guide. Click on the image below to download a zip file containing PDF, PowerPoint, or Word versions of all of the mHealth Planning Tools in our collection.
- The Planning Canvas (PDF, PPT) helps you visualize the essential components of your planning process, with all the topics covered in the Guide represented on one page. The worksheet illustrates how the project components are interconnected pieces of a complete strategy. While your plan will not realistically fit on one page, you can use this template to take notes as you work through the Guide or as a template for a strategy session with a whiteboard. The planning process is iterative in nature and relies on many rounds of incorporating user feedback, developing partnerships, tweaking content, and much more before scale and sustainability can be reached. You can use the Planning Canvas to document major changes and/or breakthroughs in your plan. You will notice that there is a box in the top right hand corner of the worksheet where you can indicate the date and which iteration of the Canvas you are working on.
- The Key Considerations are designed to help you think through the critical questions that need to be asked as you design an mHealth solution and plan for implementation. You will notice that there are key considerations listed throughout the Guide. For ease of use, all of these considerations are consolidated into three PDF documents (one for each planning phase covered in the Guide), which you can download and use as checklists or worksheets to guide you through the mHealth planning and development process. The Key Considerations should be used to fill in the Planning Canvas and are designed to help in the following ways:
- Concept Development: The factors to consider during initial planning and concept development will help health program planners gain an in-depth understanding of whether there is a need for an mHealth solution. Is mHealth an appropriate tool to use to address a given challenge?
- Solution Design & Testing: These factors to consider will help developers and health program implementers design and test the technology specifications and content for the mHealth solution.
- Planning for Implementation: The considerations explored in this section of the Guide will help you understand the mHealth implementation process. What elements need to be in place to ensure program success?
- The Logic Model Template (PDF, PPT), introduced in the Concept Development section of the Guide, will help you articulate your program’s purpose and link activities to outputs, outcomes, and intended impacts.
- The Technology Decisions Worksheet (PDF, Word), explained in the Solution Design & Testing section of the Guide, will assist you in creating a document that captures your technology requirements. This document will ultimately guide the technology development process, whether you are building it in-house or with outside expertise
- The Publications Matrix includes key mHealth articles, case studies, frameworks, reports, briefs, research syntheses, and other materials for mHealth planning. These resources outline strategies for designing and implementing successful mHealth programs, and many of these publications share program results and document important lessons learned.
For a list of helpful tools, guides, and handbooks developed by other organizations that are relevant for mHealth planning, please visit mHealth Knowledge.