Public Sector Family Planning: How Can We Pay For It?
Government and donor funds fail to meet growing demands for reproductive health care in the public sector. Strategies to support such services include:
- Convince governments to invest more in family planning.
- Use market segmentation to direct subsidies to the poor and to direct clients who can afford to pay to the private sector.
- Encourage public-private partnerships to increase use of the private sector.
- Increase the efficiency of service provision in the public sector.
- Plan for the phase-out of donor-provided contraceptives.
Convince governments to invest more in family planning