Essential Family Planning Resources
Family Planning: a Global Handbook for Providers (WHO, JHUCCP, USAID, 2011). Experts from around the world have contributed to the development of this handbook, and many major international organizations and professional organizations working in FP have endorsed and adopted this guidance. It is one of WHO’s “Family Planning Cornerstones,” a companion to the Medical Eligibility Criteria for Contraceptive Use, the Selected Practice Recommendations for Contraceptive Use, and the Decision-Making Tool for Family Planning Clients and Providers. (Available in many languages).
Medical Eligibility Criteria for Contraceptive Use (WHO, 2015). This document reviews the medical eligibility criteria for use of contraception, offering guidance on the safety of use of different methods for women and men with specific characteristics or known medical conditions. The recommendations are based on systematic reviews of available clinical and epidemiological research. It is available in English, French, and Spanish.
Facts for Family Planning (USAID, 2013). This publication contains 10 easy-to-read chapters on important FP topics such as delaying first pregnancy, spacing pregnancies, understanding fertility, and FP methods, with special chapters focused on unmarried youth and HIV/AIDS. Facts for Family Planning can be a useful tool for counselors, social workers, community health outreach workers, teachers, religious leaders, or others working in developing countries. Program directors and managers can use this information as a guide in the development of training materials, communication messages, and other program-related activities.
K4Health Toolkits provide quick and easy access to relevant and reliable health information in one convenient location. They are intended for health program managers, policy makers, and service providers. The resources in the toolkits are selected by experts and arranged for practical use. FP-specific toolkits include:
- IUD Toolkit
- Implants Toolkit
- Injectables Toolkit
- Oral Contraceptives
- Condom Use Toolkit
- Lactational Amenorrhea Method (LAM)
- Standard Days Method Toolkit
- TwoDay Method
- A Forecasting Guide for New and Underused Methods of Family Planning
- Community-Based Access to Injectable Contraceptives
- Community-Based Family Planning Toolkit
- Elements of Family Planning Success Toolkit
- Family Planning and HIV Services Integration
- Healthy Timing and Spacing of Pregnancy Toolkit
- Maternal Infant Young Child Nutrition - Family Planning (MIYCN-FP) Integration Toolkit
- Postpartum Family Planning (PPFP) Toolkit
- Tips & Tools for Strengthening the Effectiveness and Sustainability of Contraceptive Security Committees