Key Family Planning Messages
After a live birth:
- Couples should use an effective FP method of their choice continuously for at least two years before trying to become pregnant again.
- Couples should consider the potential risks of spacing pregnancies five years apart or more.
After a spontaneous or induced abortion:
- Although more research is needed, some studies indicate that after an abortion, couples should continuously use an effective FP method of their choice for at least six months before trying to become pregnant again.
For first pregnancies among youth:
- Youth should delay first pregnancy until they are at least 18 years old.
- To delay a first pregnancy, youth should use an effective FP method of their choice or practice abstinence.
For advanced maternal age pregnancies:
- Couples should be advised that the healthiest time for a pregnancy is between the ages of 18 and 34.
Key Resources for Developing FP Messages:
- A Guide for Developing Messages for Women in the First Year Postpartum (ACCESS-FP, 2010). Available in French and English.