The Evidence to Action Project (E2A) is pleased to announce the publication of four technical briefs summarizing its assessment of postabortion care (PAC) services in four West African countries. The assessments, which emphasize the family planning component of PAC services, follow the concerted effort of Francophone West African countries to strengthen PAC services at point of treatment.
E2A conducted the assessments in Burkina Faso, Guinea, Senegal, and Togo. All of these countries participated in a regional conference in 2008, where country teams developed action plans for strengthening PAC that would apply the Virtual Fostering Change methodology for strengthened services and scale-up. The action plans aimed to improve certain aspects of PAC service delivery, such as:
- Reorganization of PAC services
- Supply chain management for family planning commodities and manual vacuum aspiration kits
- Health information systems
- Leadership, governance and management
- Community mobilization for PAC