Population, Health, and Environment (PHE) Voices
Population, Health, and Environment (PHE) is a development approach that focuses on the relationship between human health and environmental health. Integrated PHE programs improve primary health care services, particularly family planning and reproductive health, while also helping communities conserve biodiversity, manage natural resources, and develop sustainable livelihoods. Some countries--such as Ethiopia, Madagascar, and the Philippines--have done extensive work in PHE policy and programming, and have powerful stories to tell. Capturing and sharing these stories provides a strong advocacy tool for the PHE approach and complements research and evaluation data.
Storytelling for PHE: Approaches in Ethiopia, Madagascar, and the Philippines
K4Health facilitated a series of 2 to 3-day in-country trainings entitled “Storytelling as a Knowledge Management Tool for Population, Health, and Environment Advocacy” to USAID missions and local partners. Altogether, over 80 PHE implementers and practitioners, representing 64 diverse organizations from health, environment, and conservation sectors in Ethiopia, Madagascar, and the Philippines, took part. Through this training, participants were introduced to the potential of knowledge management to improve their PHE work. Participants were also provided with information and skills they can use to develop effective stories for PHE advocacy.
In addition, K4Health engaged USAID missions, as well as in-country partners (the PHE Ethiopia Consortium, Blue Ventures Madagascar, the Madagascar PHE Network, and PATH Foundation Philippines Inc.) to capture and tell powerful stories as part of a special “PHE Voices” series on Family Planning Voices . Altogether, K4Health photographed and interviewed more than 70 PHE stakeholders, including policymakers, implementers, and beneficiaries. These PHE-specific stories, many touching on themes of gender, adolescence, resiliency, and integrative approaches, are published on the Family Planning Voices Tumblr site and FP2020/K4Health social media channels with a PHE-specific hashtag (#PHEVoices). K4Health has also published country-specific pieces (see below).
- Population, Health, and Environment Voices: A Reflection of 10 Years Working Toward Health Environments and Communities in Ethiopia (booklet)
- Reaching the Summit: Working Toward Healthy Environments and Communities in Ethiopia (photo story)
- Story of Alem Mekonnen (animated video)
- Story of Yilma Dellelegn (animated video)
- Discovering New Ways of Learning in Madagascar (blog post)
- Passion with Purpose (photo story)
- Mada Stars (photo story)
- Population, Health, and Environment Voices: How Communities in the Philippines Are Securing a Future for the Next Generation (booklet)
- Family First: How Communities in the Philippines are Securing a Future for the Next Generation (photo story)
- Roads Less Traveled: What Riding in an Ambulance Taught Me About Family Planning (photo story)
- What If? (video)
- Story of Melgrace C. Orbe (video)